Ripples of Change

 Ripples of Change


My grandmother taught me the tooth fairy

I was just six and so fairly 

If I hid my tooth behind the pot,

I'd get a coin!


Mother cooked but was forbidden 

From eating eggs and chicken 

That was the law of the kitchen 

But we ate

Only to turn to mothers yet

Truth there was void I bet!


So I was ten

Before two thousand ten

Chief Okot used to order rain

And Achor healed those with pain

I believed it and was proud

That was before I learnt nimbus cloud 

Yes, before I saw polio vaccine for the lame

These were two teams playing the same game!


Like a mallet on a drum

Cutting through the old silence 

That silence cast upon our brains to cram.

And; as he, drunk of rum,

We rang with ancient words

Of our father's fathers 

That silence was peace

Long time peace we clang on to

But that membrane was torn

And our eyes opened 

 The false truth was gone

Change is a mallet

A mallet of time to embrace 

@TimmyPoet

Comments

Post a Comment